Tuesday 8 June 2010

We

The Russian novel by Zamyatin that inspired 1984 and Brave New World.

What can be said for a book I didn't understand? Was this a wonderfully crafted book that went on to inspire Orwell and Huxley to write 1984 and Brave New World respectively? Perhaps. For me, it was something I should of given up after the first couple of chapters.

The book seems to be written as a series of emotions and thoughts. Characters are referred to as numbers, there's no background to it, it's just a very complex insight into a world (if that's what it is) where something isn't quite right. 

The way the 'INTEGRAL' was introduced (which is a spaceship being built).. well, it wasn't. The names of the chapters just about sum this book up for how confusing it is. I think it may have been written as one big poem, but surely a lot of the translation has destroyed what worth this book would warrant.

I would read a few chapters/journal entries of the novel and convince myself that I didn't know what was going on. After I had read more I realise that I did understand, I just wasn't impressed by the way it was orchestrated. Orwell and Huxley have both 'stolen' the plot from We is a comment many have made. I would say they perfected it by constructing the fundamentals of We into a more accessible and enjoyable format.

1 comment:

Ramón said...

/me wants this!

Great book, my favorite on dystopian novels.