Saturday 17 July 2010

Andrei Rublev

This is a Russian film directed by Andrei Tarkovsky made in 1966. It spans 2 DVDs and is 205 minutes long, and has 7 chapters.

Andrei Rublev was a great 15th century Russian icon painter. This film depicts the lives of people in 15th century Russia, and Tatar invasions.

It's a very difficult film to analyse, as are most Tarkovsky films; there's so much content involved in them. It's quite religious, but it's more about artistic value than religion. It's more a film about the value and power of art and how Rublev deals with all in madness at the time. I've only seen Stalker, but I also plan to see Solyaris, The Mirror, and Ivan's Childhood by the same director. Andrei Rublev is hailed as a master piece. I really want to watch it again, I found it very interesting.

This is a very slow-paced, beautifully photographed film, and really does make me think. I think a lot of the ignorance portrayed in the film, and the fact that it's from USSR 1966 is still relevant in our society. So we don't (usually) resort to outbursts of violence and total slaughter, but people probably would if they could. The Sun thoroughly encourages such behaviour - "GOT HIM!"

My copy of the DVD from Fopp.



Here is a link to a gallery of screenshots I have taken using smPlayer.

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: