Saturday 14 January 2012

À bout de souffle - Jean Luc Goddard

aka "Breathless", directed by Jean-Luc Goddard, and written by Francois Truffaut.


A young car thief kills a policeman and tries to persuade a girl to hide in Italy with him.


I liked the 400 Blows, which is written by Traffaut. I liked the Band of Outsiders, directed by JLG. The former because there's nothing to dislike about it, and the latter because it's a film that thrived with the style it was given. It was entertaining.


46 minutes into this film or so. I can't be bothered. It's so much style over substance, and the only style I was getting was watching people piss about in a bed.


The girl tries to make conversation. Music. Literature. The guy's a philistine, I get it. He just wants her for sex, I get it. The male character doesn't say anything. It's so cliché, so dull. Same with half of the film I saw. You can't waste half a film portraying an empty character. Goddard's female characters are always vulnerable, educated, but socially stupid. Even that gets monotonous: the same recycled character.


It's just style. Too much sugar in a bad cup of coffee. Trendy, yet overly weak. At least give me something decent to read, some interesting character development, something absolutely beautiful to look at. I got none. I don't really care if the latter half of the film suddenly improved or somehow crammed in a load of character development -- or anything relating to substance.

I drink coffee without sugar because I like to be able to taste it. Did I mention it was lukewarm? This guy's like the French Woody Allen.

No comments: