Friday 28 May 2010

Slaughterhouse-Five

The size of this book is something to consider. I read it very quickly. It didn't feel like I was reading a war/anti-war book, more of a time-travelling recollection of events that had happened in the war, and after. This really is a book to be read multiple times (not like it takes long). Is war worse during the events or after? It's a look at post-traumatic stress.

The time-travelling literary device works extremely well in the book as a way to convey memory, and it's done quite simply. Whilst this could obscure the message behind the book, I feel the unpretentious approach to the work fantastic. It feels as if its a guy that just wants to give a unique perspective on what he went through, rather than trying to become a top-notch writer. Any element of sci-fi in this is totally justified. It's more of a mental health thing, rather than science fiction. Shame there's not a lot more writers using sci-fi as profoundly as this. Most that are aren't classified as sci-fi. I'm not going to attempt to put this into any genre.

4 stars because I don't think I've read it enough. Most people who've read this don't remember what it was about. Maybe that's one of the charming effects it has. So it goes.

 I do try to post the covers of the books I have. I take my own but I don't always have the book with me, or I got it from the library.

No comments: